Why Choose Private Kindergarten
Kindergarten is the de-facto start to most children’s academic career. And while public school is open to all, there are some important reasons why it is worth considering a private Kindergarten program:
- Small Class Size = Individualized Instruction: With many local public school Kindergarten class sizes averaging 20-25, a small class with a maximum of 10 children offers much greater individualized instruction. In a private program, your child’s teacher also has more time to truly get to know your child’s strengths and individual goals.
- Strong Parent-Teacher Communication: During this important first year, we hear from parents that they value the additional communication opportunities and access to the teachers at a private school, including seeing the educator daily at drop-off and pick-up, weekly newsletters and photos, and access to a password-protected, online parent portal.
- A Well-Rounded Curriculum: Our private Kindergarten class offers not only strong early academics (literacy, mathematics, social studies & science), but also enrichment activities, such as visual art, music, physical education, yoga, two foreign languages, and monthly library visits.
- Experiential Learning: Private school Kindergarten offers students more hands-on, interdisciplinary learning, both inside and outside the classroom. Some examples: field trips to examine animal homes and habitats at Drumlin Farms, in-house etiquette for kids, special science workshops from the Acton Science Discovery Museum, a visit to Boston Children’s Theatre, planting in our Tobin School garden, or weekly visits from Mr. Matt and his animals.
- Time and Attention for Social-Emotional Learning: Research is proving that a person’s social emotional skills (self-regulation, empathy, flexibility, executive function, collaboration, etc.) serve as true indicators of their future success. Our private Kindergarten makes time for learning and practicing all of these valuable life skills. Monthly community service activities and semi-annual kindness campaigns also keep our teachers and students thinking about our place in the larger world.
- Onsite Afterschool Program: Kindergarten families have access to Tobin Afterschool, our accredited Afterschool program, for coverage outside of our program hours: afternoons, on early release days, and during school vacations.
We’d love to give you a tour of our private Kindergarten program at Tobin, so you can see how it would be for your child and family.
Contact Adiel Gutierrez, Program Director, to set up a tour and learn more about Kindergarten at The Tobin School